Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Hunting for Dolls

I have recently rummaged and scrounged thru half a dozen thrift stores in search of doll faces that I can use to make molds/moulds. This is not as easy as I had thought. Some of the faces do not have good definition and the faces are more painted on than sculpted. Porcelain dolls seem to have the best faces, but they are usually Collector Items and have a price tag to match. I'm not interested in collecting dolls...just making molds.

I'm now learning how to make molds myself since I have had limited success searching for molds online that look like what I want. I also have a block of air dry clay that has gotten hard on the bottom, so I might try my hand at sculpting some faces. I have visions of sugar plum whimsical dolls dancing in my head these days. More ideas are popping up weekly as to how I want to present them. I might even get into some little bodies at some point, too.

I am delighted that at long last I have begun to move into the doll making arena because this is something that I have wanted to do for years. Not only that, but I am envisioning some characters (aside from the Bottle Babes) being made from bottles and jars. Fantasy, elfin, fae type characters.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you are moving in the direction of your dreams.
    I hope it is more fun than frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I am having a great time learning about all these new techniques....well, except for one hair raising calamity that I had last month. I was making some Paper Mache Clay with what looked to be a very simple recipe. OMG. What a mess!

      I was videoing the process for students in one of my classes and I had to heavily edit the video to remove the swear words. It was funny!

      Delete
  2. I'm loving all your doll related pieces; they are so unique and each piece has a completely different look and feel to it. Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maisy Daisy! You probably haven't had much time to follow any of the videos about my processes and adventures into the world of 3D, but it has been quite an experience. I'm not into cookie cutter art, per se, so I try to make each one of these unique and that's a challenge.

      Wait until you see the one I am working on now! I've got some textures and colors happening that are scrumptilicious!!

      xoxoxox

      Delete