Saturday, April 27, 2013

What Inspires You?

I am sure that everyone has a different answer to this question. I don't profess to be an expert in the area, so all I can do is theorize about what works for me. Generally speaking, I would have to say that I inspire myself. I have to go searching for images or views in the world, paintings in museums, walk through art galleries and shows.

Some days this requires a good deal of work. You can look out your window and get inspired by a lovely sunset or the rain. But it really begins with your mind set. I have to be willing to BE inspired or it won't happen. If I am blue or funky and grumpy and I don't feel like exerting myself...inspiration does not arrive in my home.


This image was inspired out of necessity. I was doing a lesson for one of my classes, happily making marks and not thinking of any particular direction to take the painting. Suddenly I realized that I had a total mess on my hands and I had to get creative quickly in order to complete the lesson for my students. The image below is what it looked like initially.


Nothing about this piece inspired me in the slightest. I was embarrassed by the mess that I had created. After a little quick thinking, I began searching online, had a Bright Idea, and then I was able to video the process of my thoughts as I revamped the mess and made it into an Eggplant Still Life. Whew! I pulled that one out of my hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment